Wednesday, October 20, 2004

From Pastor to Stay at Home Mom?

A woman has to do what a woman has to do.....right?

What on earth does that mean? Actively ministering for 15 years in various forms, I became an ordained pastor 4 years ago. I had already been serving as associate pastor at a church in southern California when I went through the somewhat long and interesting process to become an "ordained" pastor. I had just given birth to my first daughter and I stepped back a bit from fulltime ministry with youth to be sure she received the attention to which she was entitled.

Over the next couple of years the ministry God had led me into altered to become children's and jr. high ministry. Still I balanced time carefully between my wonderful husband, my daughter and the church. I kept perspective because of something simple a friend told me. When my daughter was born he said, "Congratulations on your new ministry". I have remembered that statement always when deciding time values.

Then, I gave birth to my second daughter. Time was now on shorter supply and the two girls had much greater needs than one alone. I reflected on scripture that taught me. When speaking of the qualifications of an overseer it states, "he must be one who manages his own household well...". I believe it applies to me as well. The two girls and my husband have to come first before the church, though no one comes before Christ himself.

My husband and I agreed. Through prayer, God revealed our choice, it was time for me to stay home with the girls. I will minister in whatever ways God opens to me, but I will always be careful to put the needs of our family first.

3 Comments:

At October 20, 2004 at 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Paula, we really miss you! You're missing everything! I miss you a lot. I know you have priorities and those includw being with your two daughts and that's great but...things aren't going well in the Jh. department. Last wednesday Bonjo lost it and said he was done teaching us. The guys are really picking on one guy in the youth group and that guy gets way too worked up about it. The girls are doing fine and I got this cool hair cut. Still...things aren't the same. We greatly miss you and Tim. I guess the old syaing's true: You don't apperciate something till it's gone.
Anyways, have a great time raising the girls. When they're older maybe I can see you again at church. By then I'll either by in high school or maybe even college by then. :) See ya'. Mare (You know who it is I hope).

 
At October 24, 2004 at 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

paula its emily and i just wanted to say hi and that everyone really really misses you , tim , and the girls. we feel what you did was right and that your daughters do need you in this time as they are growng up but that dosent mean we still cant miss you. jh is doing poorly you could say some boys are disrupting the class and picking on one other boy in particular that is new which i feel is wrond bonjo got so mad last week he told us he was leaving even though somedays he hasnt been coming and pj has to teach us. bojo is being to easy om us so the boys think they can get away with everything i hope things get better. eveyone really misses you and ever week you and tim are brought up dont you feel loved?WELL YOU ARE!!!!
miss you hope to see you soon
emily stokes

 
At November 1, 2004 at 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Paula!
I hope you are doing well. I've missed seeing you guys in the front row every Sunday morning, so i hope that you are really doing better now. Feel free to come and visit sometime.. or to send us pics of the girls, at least.
Give your babies a hug and a kiss from me. I hope to hear from you/see you soon!
Much Love!
~Amy~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home