Monday, October 18, 2004

Why re-elect President Bush

To begin my blogging experience I must give credit where credit is due. I heard about and read various blogs because of Hugh Hewitt's radio show. Therefore, my first weblog posting is a response to his question.

Why should we re-elect President Bush?

I think I have a unique take on this issue. As a youth pastor and then children's pastor, I have a confession I must make. Unknowingly, I was one of those who helped to elect President Clinton. I was young and it was my first vote for president. I believed him and his many statements. Then I sat back and watched. I saw how our country changed in response to his leadership. I experienced the change in respect boys gave to girls following the Monica Lewinsky experience. I watched a disregard for leadership emerge as we chanted the mantra of "it's about the economy stupid".
Children are a reflection of our teachings. They parrot what was taught to them from various points: parents, T.V., radio, internet, etc. The children changed under President Clinton's leadership, and not for the better.
As a result, I became a republican. Again I voted. I believed that President Bush was far better for our country than Gore ever could be. I believed that "No Child Left Behind" was a fantastic idea, especially because I saw teenagers advance in grades after repeatedly failing courses. As a native Californian, I remember and experienced when California was truly the best place to receive an education. We needed help.
Now, I have seen Los Angeles Unified School District fight as hard as they could against NCLB. Yet they can't hide from children who cannot pass. They are finally beginning to recognize that perhaps they need to work on how they educate. It's hard but absolutely necessary.
The clincher for me was watching the final debate. Repeatedly having accused President Bush of not funding NCLB, Kerry finally made the statement to his face. In response, President Bush calmly stated they had increased funding in education 49% (I had no idea it was so much - had to look it up $24.7 billion in 2001 to $36.9 billion in 2005) Kerry's response told much about who he is. He said, "a percentage is not and increase".
If it isn't, I certainly don't know what is.
I like a President who cares about our children and does something about it, even when others are not really paying attention. That is why I am voting for President Bush.
Thanks Hugh for the inspiration.
Check out his blog at http://hughhewitt.com





1 Comments:

At October 19, 2004 at 6:06 PM, Blogger Mommypundit said...

Thanks, Paula, for clarifying the statistics on NCLB. Reminds me how important it is for each of us to check the facts...Acts 17:11

 

Post a Comment

<< Home