Sunday, January 02, 2005

Faith vs. School

In my ever expanding search for pertinent issues for California Families, I came across an article in the LA Times. There was reference made to this article by Hugh Hewitt but I have to confess. I feel like Hugh over simplified the situation. Initially I agreed with Hugh because as a fellow Christian he is usually quite insightful, but I'm not certain he thought about the details involved in this situation. On the surface, it seems like a simple issue. We are all sinners and so we should all be open to growing and knowledge in God's word. But is that the only purpose of that Catholic School. If evangelism of the children and growth in doctrine is it's main purpose, I hartily agree with Hugh. But there is a challenge.

The school has all parents agree to live by Catholic doctrine. Now we all know that not everyone who signs such agreements is good at keeping their word. With that in mind, we also need to consider where the boundaries start and end as far as keeping our children safe. Recognizing the sinfulness of all is certainly important but if one has a regular issue of lying and another has a regular issue of murdering, which would be the more appropriate caregiver for children. The Lord does not separate one sin from another because even the tiniest lie is still not equal to the glory of God. If you miss the bullseye in darts, even slightly, you still missed.

But, as a society, we have to create and utilize some divisions of sin because otherwise we simply leave ourselves open for chaos. Why not allow the addicted family with the drug dealing husband. I recognize there is no guarantee that those who have signed the agreement are not going to bring more damage, but wasn't there a reason for having that agreement in the first place.

The priest who ignored this agreement as a matter of conscience needs to also consider removing it and opening the doors to baptists and episcoples and deists and wiccans. Because the ultimate result is that there become no boundaries.

Honestly, I'm not certain if I would want to have my child at a school with the rules as they currently stand, but I am also not certain I like the idea of school as a mission field when you have paid to be separate. Train up a child in the way he should go and he will not depart far from it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home