Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Mommy Bloggers...are we just me first whiners

This article in the New York Times was listed at Smart Christian and it bothered me a bit. I am a "mommy blogger". The idea that those of us who are moms are strictly trying to get attention for ourselves and take it away from our kids is just plain mean. Perhaps the moms they spoke with or read appear to have recentment or selfishness as their motivator, but there are others I have read who seem to simply want to express their views and give others advice or information. I can think of Michelle Maulkin and Mommy Pundit as good examples of this.

As for me, I am trying to develop my writing skills. I care deeply about the issues of my area and want to watch them myself. I wasn't sure but maybe others might be interested as well. I have become a stay at home mom and I don't want my husband to feel like he is carrying the load all by himself without any attempts on my part to help. I have longed to be a writer for years and not had the time or energy to really put forth an effort. This becomes a tool. I can research the news and political items which are relevant to my family and maybe they will be relevant to others. If not, I am still developing a writing skill which will help with my other goal. I write when my girls are sleeping or having quiet playtime and in this way, it doesn't take away from them. Perhaps the writer of this article should have investigated deeper.

I have even started an occasional other site called Lost and Blind which gives the pastor in me a chance to have short pastoral moments.

Are women supposed to have no interests and no opinions? I don't think historically that has ever really been the case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home